Saturday, April 20, 2019

Elephant Seals!! Need I Say More?

San Simeon, California, is a little wide spot in the road at the southern end of Big Sur.  For me, its most importance feature is its proximity to the Elephant Seal Rookery.  Here, the elephant seals like to hang out with different populations coming at different times of the year, so this is not a one-time place to visit.  Late November/early December marks the beginning of pup season.  We came through on December 13, and there were three new pups on the beach - the first day of pupping!  I'll pop a few comments periodically, but this part is mainly pictures.  I just love elephant seals!

Three tired moms with their pups




A juvenile male practicing his vocalizing


This adult male could certainly use something to help with that snoring!



Why you shouldn't fall asleep so close to the shoreline when the tide's coming in!



She may look like she's asleep and not paying attention, but watch this juvenile back up!



"It makes my skin so soft!!"



I took lots of video out where the waves were initially breaking because it was difficult to tell from shore whether those things bobbing up and down were elephant seals or rocks.  Turns out, at times, it was neither!  The docent from the Friends of the Elephant Seals said these guys were further out than this!



Though I could spend hours upon hours and days upon days watching the elephant seals, we did need to head north, so we got back into the car and did just that.  I was looking through my pictures, when Bruce pulled into a driveway and turned around.  I'm asking him what's going on, and he's just not saying  anything, but having me unbuckle and get ready to get out.  Knowing him well, I had no thoughts that he was going to put me out on the side of the road and leave me, but that's exactly what he did!  He slowed down, suggested I get out of the car, and drove off!

There were signs saying no stopping or parking on the side of the road, so he could not pull off and stop.  Nothing said that I couldn't stand on the side of the road and take pictures of the elephant seals playing in the feeder waters coming in from the ocean!


Including this group of juvenile males playing and practicing fighting for when they get old enough to try to get a mate.


My favorite, though, is this little trespasser trying to blend in with the cattle!


Oh what a glorious morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment