Monday, November 28, 2022

Port Stanley, Falkland Islands

Ah, a day at sea!  I woke and opened my curtains.  We are outside the South Georgia area, so I don't have to close them again!  (South Georgia regulation is to close curtains to avoid bird strikes.)  It was a beautiful morning.  Birds flying by the window – more petrels.    No wandering albatross that I could see.  So after a few morning ministrations, back to bed I went, having woken just in time for a nap!  One giant petrel seemed to hover by my window for a bit longer than necessary, almost as if looking to see if I was a meal he could scavenge! I was suddenly brought to an awakened state by Ab, the ornithologist guide, announcing that wandering albatross were around the ship.  So, up I jumped, dressed, grabbed my camera and door key, and out the door I went.  Out the back door where nobody had seen it.  Up to the 8th floor observation deck where Adam said there were three of them, but they were gone now.  Adam is one of the heads for the Rock Jumper birding group, and he has been really nice to me (and everybody else who was interested in learning about birds).  He said you have to be on deck when they get there because they only hang around for seconds, then they're gone.  So, it looks like I'm NOT going to get a picture of the wandering albatross.  I need the rest.  I really don't have the strength and energy to stand out on the deck in the driving wind.  If one flies past my balcony, I'll probably see it (unless I'm asleep), but that's going to be my extent.  I hate it, but that just has to be okay.  I tried to get a few more of the prion that were flying around because I don't have many of those (and no good ones).  I failed miserably.  Those little suckers are FAST!

On the second day at sea, Hard-Core Sanna gave a lecture about her trip skiing to the South Pole.  Turns out, she “warmed up” by skiing across Greenland!  She is soooo hard core!  As if any of the guides on this cruise is a slouch!  Any one of them would be considered hard core by normal standards, but Hard-Core Sanna is a hard core stand-out among even this group!

We pulled in to Port Stanley about 7:00 a.m. with a pod of 3 little black and white dolphins playing at our side.  I was in the dining room having breakfast and did not have my camera.  By the time I got back to my stateroom and my camera, we had docked.  Without any wake, the dolphins moved on.  I'm hoping they'll trail us while pulling out tonight so I can get some shots.  They were adorable!

And speaking of adorable, we went to Gypsy Cove where some magellanic penguins nest in burrows. They are adorable!  There was a group of people that was going to walk all the way around the cove and back to the ship and there was the rest of us.  The rest of us walked around part of the cove and then went back to the busses to take us back to the ship.  It's a difference of about 4 miles, and Ab always seems to underestimate!  So, I caught the bus for people who weren't doing the long walk out to the cove, which was right behind the long walkers' bus.  We all started out together.  Ab was the leader and pointed out the black crested night heron that was nesting with the shags on the wall.  We found the burrowing penguin on our own as well as the other penguins on the beach and all the geese.  I probably shouldn't have gone as far as I did to see the shags and heron, but plenty of people helped me over the big rocks and stuff.  After that, though, I decided it was time to turn back.  Ab, our guide, said we could go as far as the canons and just go back over the hill, but I'm glad I decided to turn around and retrace my path.  There were more penguins on the beach (2 going up; 4 coming back) and many of them were coming and going from their burrows.  They sound a lot like the black footed South African penguin, which is also called the “jackass” penguin because of their bray.

The buildings in Stanley are colorful, mainly by the different roof colors.  Notice that the only trees are in town.  They don't grow naturally on the island.


This is an empty burrow


A family of geese


The night heron


Magellanic penguin in burrow


Megellanic penguin walking through the ferns going back to his burrow


Once back in the parking lot, the driver said he'd leave if we got about 20 on the bus that wanted to go back early.  When we met that quota, he started off.  He was supposed to take us back to the ship, where we could pick up a shuttle to town.  The shuttles are small and only run at designated times, so most people were encouraged to walk from the ship to town.  Somebody mentioned that maybe we could just go all the way to town.  The driver pulled over and tried to call his boss, but couldn't get an answer, so he brought us to town anyway!  That actually saved a couple of hours because we would have needed to wait over an hour for the shuttle to town.  That's assuming we all would be able to get on that shuttle!

With rest stops, I walked from the visitor's center out to the memorial to the Battle of the Falklands in World War I, the solar system monument, and the Jhelum shipwreck from WWI. Then I slowly made my way back, stopping to take pictures of the horses in the yards in front of Government House; checking out the Liberation Monument to those lost in the 1982 Falkland War, the Margaret Thatcher bust on Thatcher Drive, the Penguin News (local paper), the Dockyard Museum and Antarctic Monument, the post office/town hall, the police station, the Victory Green, and finally stopped for a snack at the WestStore Supermarket, where I had a baked potato and beans.  I then continued on to the Whalebone Arch which is beside the Christ Church Cathedral (which was closed but did have a memorial veterans display), the botanical gardens at Jubilee Villas and back to the Jetty Visitor Center where I caught a shuttle back to the ship.  It was a very nice walk, about 3 miles.  With the stops and actual sightseeing, it took about 2 or 3 hours.  A lot of folks wanted to do the pubs and have fish and chips and a pint.  That's not my scene any longer, so I just came back to the ship where my feet could use a rest, my body would like a shower and a nap, and my mind knew there was nothing left to do in Stanley!  It's a nice place, but there isn't much to see.  The weather was a nice, sunny, windy day in the 50s, and I had to take my jacket off, just wearing my thermal shirt and fleece leggings.

Jubilee Villas with the botanical garden on the left


Pale Maiden, the national flower of the Falkland Islands


Memorial display in front of the church


Whalebone Arch


Police station


Town Hall and Post Office



Local paper


Bust of Margaret Thatcher



1982 Falkland War Memorial




Horses in front of the garden of Government House


Falkland Island shag.  Note the RED feathers around the pretty brown eyes.  The Antarctic shags had blue feathers.


WWI Falkland War Monument


Shipwreck of Jhelum, WWI ship


Solar system model.  I'm sure it was more in-depth, but I didn't walk down the hill to see.


Dockyard Museum and Antarctic Monument





Victory Green


Church


With my T-Mobile plan, I was able to text home to let Bruce and Chrissy know I was okay and having a wonderful time, but I didn't have any data, so no calling.  I wasn't even able to send pictures through!  But, I'll be in Ushuaia in just a few days and all the messages I've been “sending” and posts I've been “posting” to Facebook will go through!

Tomorrow is the last excursions.  Rock Hopper penguins and nesting brown browed albatross at Carcass and Westpoint in the West Falklands.  Then a day at sea before docking in Ushuaia the following morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment