Saturday, May 18, 2019

A Day on the Lovely Mediterranean Sea

Between Mallorca and Sicily, we had a day at sea.  Chrissy and I tend to like to get massages when we're traveling together, so this was the day to do that.  We had breakfast on the lido deck and headed to the spa to see what was available.  The earliest time they had available was during our dinner seating, and the last thing I wanted was someone pushing and beating on me on a full stomach.  So we got the  massages during dinner and decided to eat at the buffet on the Lido deck afterward.  As part of the sale they had running, we got use of the spa facilities for the day.  So, we went back to our cabin where Chrissy did the bulk of her homework for the week, and I did a little work, and then we headed back upstairs to the spa, where we soaked in the thalassotherapy pool for a while and spent some time drinking tea in the solarium before lunch.  The sun was bright and shining through the glass, but the view really was beautiful from up here.  Water as far as the eye could see.


After lunch, we hung out on chairs on the lido deck for a while, enjoying more views of the water.  A little boat did come by.  She looked so far away from land!  Just a tiny speck on the horizon!


It did start getting a bit chilly out, and the wind started whipping up, so we went into some of the interior rooms.  I found a window seat down on one of the lower decks, where it was somewhat quiet and I could look out the window.  Chrissy went to the cabin for a nap.  There were loads of things on the ship - shows and games and other things, but I just liked basking in the quiet spaces looking at the water. There were so many things going on, that no place seemed crowded, except the breakfast buffet on days in port, when everybody was trying to get breakfast and get ready for their shore excursions.  Anyway, the Captain announced that the wind had picked up, and the waves were cresting at 3 meters.  

My window seat was way down on deck 3, where the piano bar had a guy singing old '80s tunes and almost getting all the words.  He did an excellent job considering I don't think he spoke English, even as a second or third language.  He played well and had a good voice, so even with the unique lyrics, it was enjoyable, and I sang along.  I'm not sure my window seat was really a seat, but it had room for me to put my foot up and lean back and and watch the water.  I was already very relaxed by the time our massage appointment rolled around.

The massage was very disappointing.  Part of it was my fault because I obviously could not let her touch my left foot.  Resting my foot most of the day had done a world of good for it, but touching that tendon still sent me through the roof!  So, I left my left sock on to remind her to leave that foot alone.  Overall, the massage was adequate. I've had worse, but I've had much better for more than 1/4 of the cost, too.  She did something amazing to my left knee, but didn't to the same thing to the right one, so I don't know what that's about.  Where we get our massages together, the technicians have always before recognized that it's not really a "couple's massage".  These ladies didn't quite get that memo, and at the end, they joined our hands together.  That was a little creepy, given we're mother and daughter, but nothing Earth shattering.  The worst part was the hard sell at the end.  The lady that did Chrissy's offered her oils and other products, and thanked her when she declined.  Mine, on the other hand, was pretty insistent.  Every time I declined the products, she got a little more insistent.  When she insinuated that if I didn't purchase the oils, it must mean that I didn't care enough for Chrissy to protect my life from inflammation that is sure to kill me if I don't use those oils, it was too far, and I put a little bass in my voice.  It was a sour ending to an otherwise wonderful day, but dinner from the  buffet was pleasant, and those 3 meter waves just rocked me right to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment